Remember the pop-up camper that I bought way back in April? And I swore that I was going to do a sewing makeover to it? Well, it’s July and I finally got started. With the deconstruction at least, lol.
Don’t get me wrong, we’ve been camping in it in the meanwhile. But I know it’s going to be lots more fun when I have all the new cushions, curtains, and matching quilts that I’m imagining.
I decided to start with the cushions.
The cushions were pretty ugly. There are six. Three are rectangular seat cushions and three have a slight arch like this one.
The seat bottom cushions are supposed to have little feet on them to keep them from sliding. Half of mine were missing. I got to play with the drill to remove these. Places online sell rubber speaker feet that I think will be a good replacement if I can’t find anything at my local hardware shop.
And even though those ugly covers had zippers they were on so tight I had to cut them off.
I guess I’m committed to this project now!
Check out what was underneath: plywood, foam, and batting. Even though the foam is a bit stained, it smells and feels fine so I’m going to keep it.
To make a pattern for the curved cushions, I laid a piece of scrap fabric over the two that are different and traced the edges.
Then I cut out my ‘pattern piece’ adding 1/2” seam allowance all the way around.
The sides are all either 3 1/2” or 4” deep and will be sewn from a continuous strip.
I didn’t make pattern pieces for the rectangular pieces but simply took measurements. Then I wrote lots of notes and made myself a layout diagram to make sure I waste as little fabric as possible.
This is so fun! And so far it is way easier than I expected.
Update: I finished! See how to sew camper cushion covers here.
Disclosure: some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission, so thank you for supporting SewCanShe when you shop! All of the opinions are my own and I only suggest products that I actually use. 🙂