Free Mini Quilt Pattern: Sunshine by Jennifer Heynen!
Sewing mini quilts is instant quilting gratification! Sew up this darling sunshine on a quilt to brighten any room.
This wonderfully delightful (and easy) Sunshine Mini Quilt was designed by Jennifer Heynen of jenniferjangles.com. I was totally happy to see it because I LOVE sewing applique on my machine and I am going to show you my simple method. But feel free to make your mini quilt however you want!
As you can see, I did my best to capture Jennifer’s whimsical style in my fabric selections.
Click here to download the free applique templates to sew this mini quilt.
Feel free to use your favorite applique method to make this quilt. The background square of the finished quilt is 10 1/2” – 11” (depending on how much you trim it). I will share how I made mine below in case you are new to applique.
You will need:
The Sunshine mini quilt applique pattern (free to download)
HeatnBond lite fusible web (or another similar product)
a pile of yellow scraps
a 11” square of fabric for the front
a 12” square of fabric for the back
a 12” square of batting
about 50” of binding (see how I bind mini quilts here)
1. Trace all of the applique shapes onto the paper side of the fusible web (3 circles and 8 ‘beams’). The applique templates are already reverse-image for tracing. Cut around them roughly.
2. Fuse each piece to the back of a yellow scrap of fabric. It’s okay to repeat some (or maybe all???) of the fabrics. Have fun!
3. After fusing, cut each shape out around the lines.
4. Arrange the applique pieces on the 11” quilt top square and press to fuse.
5. Sandwich the mini quilt top, 12” piece of batting, and 12” piece of backing together with the wrong sides of the fabric against the batting. Spray baste the layers together or use pins.
6. Quilt the top by sewing around all of applique pieces close to the edge.
No more quilting is required, but it’s fun to add more – like Jennifer’s spiral pattern that I just had to try using my walking foot.
All done! Do you want me to see your gorgeous mini quilt? Upload a picture to Instagram and tag me @sewcanshe or #sewcanshe.
Check out all my free mini quilt patterns!
Disclosure: some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission, so thank you for supporting SewCanShe when you shop! All of the opinions are my own and I only suggest products that I actually use. 🙂
Can’t wait to get started on the little ray of sunshine! And one can never have too many polka dot fabrics. Thank you for the chance to win, Jennifer & Caroline!!!
Oh my goodness! Just took a sneak peak at the book and it’s fabulous. I need to make every single item – what a Christmas my grands will have this year! If I don’t win – thank you for offering the giveaway – I’ll certainly have to buy the book. Can’t wait to get started on the "littles"!!
Love the polka dot fabric. Can’t wait to see the book. Looks so cute. Can’t wait to make the sunshine quilt, it is too cute!
Those spots are amazing, so bright and cheerful. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have a big quilt in this design.
I just received the April Mini Quilts this morning. I had already received it in April. Did you send it out again? Very odd.
Jennifer Heynen sent out her newsletter with a picture of it. Maybe you subscribe to her too and got us mixed up?