Get ready to sew all your favorite quilt blocks this year! This is the year that we are going to sew everything but the kitchen sink in our Kitchen Sink 2022 Quiltalong.
This bold graphic quilt is perfect for learning new quilt making skills that build on one another, or for putting skills you already have into a big beautiful quilt.
Check out our Kitchen Sink 2022 Quiltalong Quilt:
The SewCanShe Kitchen Sink 2022 Quiltalong Quilt has 10 different quilt block patterns. We’ll release a new free block pattern each month and tell you how many blocks to make with it.
By the end of 10 months, you’ll have 64 blocks (each 12 1/2” x 12 1/2”) that you can sew into a bold and graphic queen size 96” x 96” quilt.
If you’d rather make a king size quilt, just add 2” sashing in between your blocks and a 2” border to get a huge 114” x 114” quilt. This will require 6 3/4 yards of gray fabric instead of just 3 yards.
The 10 free quilt block patterns that we will sew throughout 2022 will be:
- Four Patch Block
- Nine Patch Block
- Half Square Triangle Block
- Quarter Square Triangle Block
- Friendship Star Block
- Flying Geese Block
- Variable Star Block
- Ohio Star Block
- Nine Patch Chain Block (available sometime in September 2022)
- Pinwheel Mosaic Block (available sometime in October 2022)
These classic quilt block patterns will be shared in order of difficulty. No matter what your quiltmaking experience is, you will be able to sew all of them if you start with the first and work through them all. One technique will build upon the next!
Each month a new quilt block pattern will be released. In November, after all of the blocks have been released, I’ll share instructions for sewing the whole quilt together.
How do I find the quilt block patterns?
There are several ways you can find the quilt block patterns each month…
- Subscribe to my newsletter so you’ll be among the first to know! The newsletter will contain an announcement about each block along with a link to the blog post that contains the pattern and instructions.
- You can also come to this blog post and refer to the list above. I’ll update it with new links as the new blocks are released.
- Our Kitchen Sink Quiltalong Page contains all of the Quiltalong Blocks and bonus quilt patterns. Bookmark it so you can easily find them!
- I will also provide links to all of the quiltalong blocks and bonus quilt patterns at the bottom of the Kitchen Sink Quiltalong posts – so after reading one post you can easily move to another one. Scroll down to see!
How do I get the Kitchen Sink Quiltalong Block Patterns?
The block patterns are written in the blog posts with step by step photos for each one. If you like, you can read the pattern on your phone or tablet so you can save paper and printer ink. Just open the blog post that contains for a block and read as you work.
If you would like the block pattern in a PDF file to save on your computer or print, I’ve provided a way for you to get each one. Here’s how:
- Visit the blog post that contains the pattern.
- Find the entry field and pink button where you can enter your email address (see below for Page 1 of the pattern).
- Enter your email address.
- Check your email inbox for an email from me that will arrive within 5-10 minutes. The email will contain a link to download the file.
- If you do not see the email with a download link in your main inbox, check your junk folder in case it went there.
If you prefer to use the steps above to get PDF files for each block, you will have to visit each post and enter your email in each blog post to get that block pattern. Entering your email will sign you up for my newsletter. Don’t worry – entering your email multiple times will not cause you to recieve multiple emails. My email provider is smart and recognizes when an email is already on the list. If you change your mind or wish to no longer recieve my emails, there is an Unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email that you only have to click once.
In addition, as always, you can click CTRL+P on your computer to print any blog post.
Quilt Fabric Selection
This quilt was designed to be sewn with 6 solid fabrics, but your 6 favorite prints or blenders will work great too. You may have noticed that I designed this quilt for 2 light fabrics, 2 medium value fabrics, and 2 relatively dark fabrics. If you keep that in mind when choosing fabrics, you will do great! I suggest that you lay out your six fabrics on your table and see how they look together.
If you absolutely must have the same 6 fabrics that I am using, here are some links to buy them from Fat Quarter Shop:
- Art Gallery Pure Solids in Cherry Lipgloss
- Andover Century Solids in Pink Lemonade
- Bella Solids in Pale Pink
- Bella Solids in Ash
- Art Gallery Pure Solids in Fresh Water
- Kimberbell Silky Solids in Wild Blueberry
Are you ready to get started?
Enter your email address below to download page 1 of the Kitchen Sink Quiltalong Quilt Pattern. It includes a materials list so you can get your fabrics ready.
Then check your inbox for a link to download the free PDF file. It may take 5-10 minutes to arrive.
By entering your email address you are signing up for my SewCanShe newsletter. That way you won’t miss any of our block patterns! If you already read my newsletter – thanks so much! You will still recieve an email with a link to download the file.
Links to all of the available Kitchen Sink Quiltalong Quilt Block Patterns will be placed below. In the meantime, check out all of my free quilt patterns.
Disclosure: some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission, so thank you for supporting SewCanShe when you shop! All of the opinions are my own and I only suggest products that I actually use. 🙂