/ / Sewing Anna, Elsa, and Lord of the Rings Costumes for Halloween

Sewing Anna, Elsa, and Lord of the Rings Costumes for Halloween


Chloe as Anna.

Chloe as Anna.

I don’t usually make Halloween costumes, I just let my kids raid our ‘dress up box.’ But they are quickly outgrowing most of the costumes in the box and I happened to be at Joann’s with Cadie earlier this month when she found the McCalls Frozen pattern (MP370). Unfortunately I was already sewing like a chicken with her head cut off getting ready for Quilt Market, so had to put off the costume sewing until after I returned.


Cadie as Elsa.

Cadie as Elsa.

I returned from Quilt Market at 2am on Sunday night (early Monday morning). On Monday after getting the kids to school I sewed this Elsa dress. It turned out bigger than expected, but that means she can be Elsa next year too. And I’m sure she’ll end up wearing it to church at least once. 🙂


On Tuesday I made the Anna dress. We hated the applique that came with the pattern, so Chloe and I did a quick google search and found {this} stencil that was easy to trace and use with my Silhouette Cameo (thank goodness!). I fused HeatnBond Ultrabond to the back of some cotton fabric, cut it out, and then ironed the applique to the dress bodice. That’s it. No stitching necessary.

McCalls MP370 is meant for woven fabrics, but I made both dresses from knit fabric. It was what I had on hand, plus it’s way more comfortable for them anyway. That’s probably why the Elsa dress turned out a bit big, but I don’t mind. It also meant that I could skip the zippers.

Then on Wednesday I made the cape (it came with the same pattern).


Carl trying to be threatening like Aragorn.

Carl trying to be threatening like Aragorn.

Not to leave the boys out… on Thursday I stitched up this Lord of the Rings style tunic for Carl (Simplicity 4942, out of print). The trim for this tunic was only the second thing I had to buy (counting the McCalls pattern as the first)… all the fabric for these Halloween costumes came from my stash, yay!


Connor had to make his own costume, poor boy! . He wanted to be a minecraft character anyway and I had no clue what to sew for that, so I helped him rig up a strap in the box-head to help keep it on. He painted it himself and grabbed his minecraft diamond sword and was good to go.

Happy Sewing!


Sharing is Caring!

Disclosure: some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission, so thank you for supporting SewCanShe when you shop! All of the opinions are my own and I only suggest products that I actually use. 🙂

Similar Posts

2 Comments

  1. Rebekah Gruel says:

    What great costumes!!!

  2. Elisabeth Mellon says:

    You are very talented! Amazing job!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *