14+ Free Tote Bag Patterns You Can Sew in a Day! (plus tips to make it happen)
Who says you can’t sew a new tote bag or purse in an afternoon? I’ve done it lots of times! And here are over 14 free tote bag patterns that I have actually sewn in an afternoon. 🙂
These free bag patterns were first listed in order based on how fast they are to sew, but then I added more and more bags that I wrote tutorials for. I added new ones at the top, so make sure you scroll down all the way to the bottom.
Keep in mind that cutting (and applying interfacing) can take up a huge amount of your bag-making time. That’s why the 2 fastest bags to make below have no interfacing and almost no cutting!
Free Tote Bag Patterns…
The Strappy Tote Bag with Pockets is a winner! Plus you can add up to 8 pockets.
My DIY Clutch Bag Pattern has a zipper pouch on the inside.
The Tiny Bag packs a punch! Don’t miss my free pattern.
This roomy shopping bag pattern is cute and reversible. The rope handles are optional but I totally recommend them!
I recently added this free 1 Yard Magic Bag pattern to the list because it is just so fast and easy! You can use store bought handles, thrifted handles, or make your own!
14. The Tote with Many Pockets. Cutting and fusing interfacing take up most of your time here. Use a home decor weight fabric so you can skip the interfacing!
13. The Basket Tote. Skip the quilting and use fusible fleece instead for a fast sew! You could also skip the piping, but I don’t recommend that – it’s such a pretty touch.
12. My Speedy Patchwork Totes use gridded interfacing for quick piecing. Make them as large or small as you want!
11. The Picnic Tote makes a beautiful purse with pockets inside – and it’s really a lot simpler to make than it looks!
10. The Chubby Lunch Tote is big enough to use for other things, and super fast!
9. The Cross Body Convertible Tote. No alterations needed here – it was already fast.
8. The Pom Pom Tote. Although the quilting makes this bag really cute, you could quilt a lot less than I did. 🙂
7. This Japanese Style Tote bag is even faster to sew if you skip the patchwork on the lining.
6. No handles to sew plus a simple design make the Rope Handled Tote a breeze!
5. The Flying Geese Tote is fast to make and really big!
4. If you skip the quilting on the Sweet Quilted Tote it will sew up in no time. Or spend 20 fun minutes quilting – I would!
3. This Little Book Bag with a pocket on front uses canvas so there’s no lining!
2. The 1 Yard Magic Hobo Bag. Seriously, 1 yard, 1 hour, and you’ll be done. I promise!
1. Make 2 messenger bags from 1 yard in under an hour with the 1 Yard Magic Messenger Bag. Hallelujah!
And happy sewing! 🙂
I thought you might also like this!
Disclosure: some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission, so thank you for supporting SewCanShe when you shop! All of the opinions are my own and I only suggest products that I actually use. 🙂
Love these! I want to make them all!
I don’t often see my sister but we were out looking in second stores for items I need for my new house. She was checking out a tote bag, but put it back. Like so many other bags, when it was full, it would drag on the ground. I am taller but have short legs, so I have the same problem.
You have provided so many patterns I am sure there will be several I can modify for her (and me!) to use. Thanks!
I like the pattern and the color of the tote bags
Thank you Caroline for the patterns, they are great. I love giving bags to my three granddaughters for gifts, they love them as they are so different from their friends, and Nana made it. Phyllis
Thank you for your recommendations! This is a great idea!
I will try to make these ideas by myself!))
Basket Bag and 1 yard tote
WOW! I love this site and all the free tote patterns. I have made two and purchased material for two more. I love the video tutorials and the valuable information on stabilizers. This site is my new obsession! I love to sew and have many ladies in my life that will love receiving them as gifts. Thank you.
I have been trying for weeks to get a PDF for the tiny bag, as free pattern shown for the tiny bag doesn’t print all the instructions. I have not been successful at getting the PDF.
What am I doing Wrong? Please help!
Don’t worry – all of the information is included in the blog post on this page. The PDF doesn’t have anything different. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.
If you still want the Optimized for Printing PDF file, you can find it here: https://www.sewcanshe.com/shop3/flying-geese-tote-bag-pattern-optimized-for-printing-8325w-j9yfh-9x4be-7badk-fgxm7-b3ged